Mission and Goals
The Department of Automotive Technology provides an educational environment for students to acquire professional, research, and technical skills necessary for success in the automotive industry and other related industries. The faculty conduct applied research in automotive fields and provide service to the community.
Goals of the Program
The goals of the SIU Automotive Technology Program are to provide the opportunity for students to develop:
- Critical thinking skills in business and technical problem solving.
- Technical knowledge, understanding and skills for applied tasks of the ASE/NATEF Accreditation.
- Effective written, oral and presentation interpersonal skills.
- Computer knowledge and skills to research, manage, report and present industry related data.
- Industry business/management knowledge and professional practice.
- Awareness of the safety and environmental concerns related to the industry.